Monday, September 29, 2014

Baking My Way to a New Adventure




Naturally, when you have a nail art and beauty blog, you would try out new make-up, nail polish or new fashion trend, right?  Well, I kind-off take "trying something new" as the artsy-and-adventure rather than the beauty-and-fashion side.  This is tea related, afterall... And any food that goes with tea, for that matter {which is practically anything, right?} That's my excuse for deviating from nails and beauty hauls into my new adventure - Baking and Cake Decorating ;-)

I'll start of course with a haul.  A big haul!


Look at this trove, treasures unfold.... 
How many wonders can these boxes hold? 

Cookie and flower cutters to make lovely real-life floral cake decorations.  We'll soon find out how close to real-life I could make my "real life" flowers, I guess.  This collection gathers together my old and new baking treasures. They're mostly new.  ;-)



Many moons ago, when I was very new to Canada... {I started out as a live-in nanny for 2 beautiful kids}...

My lady-employer announced we'll be having a cake for the lovely nanny whom I'd be replacing to celebrate a special occasion {no, not her leaving, lol}.  Hmm, exciting. I love cake!  Surprisingly, she handed me a box as she says: "This will make a great cake."  What?  I'm baking the cake?  She must have noticed my big eyes wide open in disbelief that I'm actually baking the cake myself.  "You haven't baked a cake before?  It's easy, just read and follow the instructions."  Okay... I have seen someone else bake a cake before, from scratch... This is a ready mix one, how hard can it be?  Then she adds: "Here's some money. You may buy a can of frosting, there's some food color in the pantry..."

She had some basic icing tips in the pantry, then I made pipes for icing out of ziplock bags.  I made a pretty decent cake, I must say... complete with some lovely borders (hm, if I may say so) and letterings.  Many more decorated cupcakes and cookies came after that in the years that passed.  Not many days go by without me wishing I have a fancy tea-party with my friends.  Once in a blue moon, we actually get to do it.  I suppose, baking had always been an fun activity that was waiting for me to try.  Waiting... waiting...

A few days ago, I came across great cake decorating tool starter sets at the local crafts store.  They were on sale for half-off.  Good deal, I must say.... So, after agonizing over it for a long, long time... leaving the aisle of baking stuff and coming right back to it... I finally got me two different sets... <<Full story here>>


The full modeling tool set from Wilton?  Really?... Yup, I will make cake decorations professional-like... (See me grinning from ear to ear with all my teeth showing? hehehehe...)


We'll find out soon enough where this new adventure will lead to... {In a short while, you might find some cooking and recipe posts in here as well as mishaps and adventures in the kitchen.  Don't worry, I'll have fancy gel-polished nails and painted face while I bake my heart out - or not :-)}

Creativity takes courage... ;-)

What are you looking forward to do in the Fall?  How about in the quiet days of Winter?

I hope you'll have great adventures too... and days full of hope and love.
xoxo Maya


Follow on Bloglovin

3 comments:

  1. Looking forward to your sweets! You're inspiring me to bake too, though food-making in whatever form is not in my veins at all. But your enthusiasm in baking makes me want to learn and try harder. I also have cookie cutters similar to yours that I took with me from the Phil. though I've never used them yet. Maybe it's time to try them. This winter maybe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehehe, OO nga ate. After nail polishes, I think I am obsessing about baking right now. I have been baking from the box - cookies and cakes. And then I have this silly idea of making JW.org cookies... It started from there, now I am all gungho about cake decorations. I am still about to find out where this would lead... Summer was crazy busy {good busy though} that I think winter will feel really quiet. I will be looking forward to your motivating and encouraging winter posts :-)

      Delete
    2. I am excited about making flower decorations. I hope they are as easy as they look on YouTube tutorials... lol

      Delete

Thank you very much for leaving me a message.
"Like apples of gold in silver carvings, is a word spoken at the right time." ~ Proverbs 25:11.